Upper Mustang Trekking
"following ancient Trans Himalaya caravan and salt trade route of Nepal / Tibet"
Best Seasons for Upper Mustang Trekking:
Upper Mustang can be visited from April to October including the monsoon wet months of June to Mid-September, as the area falls within rain-shadow where heavy black clouds is blocked by great Himalaya barrier.That is why the area is more dry and arid than southern parts of Himalaya.While the best months is April and May with September to early November months.During spring times,in April and May,when days are much longer with sunlight hours and quite warmer during the day, but cold in the morning and night times with chances of snow sometimes.September to early November, the days are much clear day for views and walks but shorter day with sunlight hours due to autumn season freezing temperatures during morning and night time.We can expect snow on treks sometimes around higher elevation.
People and Culture:
Upper and Lower Mustang areas is populated by Thakali and Mustang,Bhote/Bhutia people of string Tibetan influence and cultures of Tibetan origin with interesting Buddhist religion and ancient practice Bon of pre-Buddhism which you can notice along the walks with religious monuments of Stupa and series of prayer wheels and stone slate walks.Upper Mustang is dominated by Tibetan origin people known a Lobo’s interwoven with Buddhism religion and exciting colorful culture blended with Bon sect.
Jomsom and Kaligandaki River Valley is populated with Thakali people interwoven with Buddhism been on trade with Tibet since ancient times on this historical Trans Himalaya Salt Trade and caravan route of Nepal to Tibet.
Upper Mustang Trekking is an exceptional country to experience once in your lifetime where walk takes you within beautiful and picturesque landscapes enclosed by walls of eroded canyon and towering cliffs.Walk into lovely windswept villages adorned with impressive Buddhist prayer monuments stupa and rows of spinning wheels where one can rotate as a respect and worship.Upper Mustang located Far North West Nepal beyond Annapurna and Dhaulagiri Himalaya range, close to Dolpo and on route of old Trans Himalaya Salt Trade and Caravan Route of Nepal to Tibet which extends beyond Upper Mustang towards high Karo-la pass.
Mustang actually is an extension of vast Tibetan South West plateau which you can witness on walks with similar terrain and landscapes of Tibet, where the native of Lo or Mustang with strong influence to Tibetan cultures and way of life.
It is one of few mysterious destinations around Himalaya to visit and get soaked within incredible scenery of beautiful landscapes, colorful impressive cultures in the shade of snow-capped peaks that surrounds this amazing country.
Upper Mustang Trekking begins from lovely Pokhara city, a renowned and famous touristic spot of Nepal and around whole Himalaya blessed with natural beauty of high Annapurna Himalaya, rolling green hills and simmering lakes where short panoramic flight takes you to land at Jomsom, the headquarter and main town of Mustang district located on the shelf of Kaligandaki River, which is also a home to many flourishing Thakali people, been on trade on this Trans Himalaya trail of Nepal and Tibet for many centuries.
From Jomsom walk begins towards further west reaching the entry point at Kagbeni a nice old interesting village to explore, where journey enters into Upper Mustang and towards former walled kingdom at Lo-Manthang.
Journey takes you into complete wilderness of eroded and broken wall of canyon resembles with Grand Canyon of USA as walk continues heading into vast country and visiting nice villages with well-tended farms, the only areas that one can witness few green trees of willow and poplars around villages.
As trek progress heading ups and down crossing few passes facing fabulous scenery of Mustang scenic landscapes with distant snow peaks to reach our final destination into walled kingdom of Lo-Manthang where former Raja / king of Mustang who ruled for many centuries till the end of last two decades.
Enjoy exploring around the town like village reminds you of medieval time era with narrow lanes and paved streets with closely attached houses and visit its important sites and monasteries of great interest.After a great glorious experience on reaching our final highlights of the adventure where return journey takes you to visit more villages on different routes for some days till walk joins back on the same scenic trails to Kagbeni into Jomsom.
From Jomsom,spending our last overnight stay in the comfort of nice Thakali lodge.Then taking a scenic short flight to reach beautiful Pokhara after a wonderful mesmerizing time and experience on Upper Mustang Trekking.
Upper Mustang once a forbidden kingdom was opened since last three decades, but still remains as restricted area where foreign visitor requires special entry permits to travel within Upper Mustang which is from Kagbeni onward as per our itinerary from Day 04 till Day 14.
On this adventure, trekkers can enjoy great panorama on walks as well on short flight facing Mt. Dhaulagiri (8, 167 m), Mustang Himal with Mt. Annapurna- I (8, 09 m) Mt. Manaslu (8,163 m), Mt. Annapurna II (7,937 m.), Mt. Annapurna III (7, 555 m), Mt. Annapurna IV (7,525 m), Mt. Annapurna South (7, 219 m), Mt. Nilgiri (7,041 m), Mt. Hiunchuli (6, 441 m), Mt. Lamjung Himal (6, 986 m), Tukuche peak (6, 920 m), to Tilicho peak (7, 134 m).
Short Outline Itinerary:
Day 01: Main arrival in Kathmandu 1,320 m via various airlines.
Day 02: In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
Day 03: Drive or fly to Pokhara 860 m -220 k.m. - 06 hrs / 30 min via air.
Day 04: Morning fly to Jomsom 2,715 m and trek to Kagbeni 2,835 m- 04 hrs.
Day 05: Trek to Chele /Tsele 3,050 m - 06 hrs.
Day 06: Trek to Syangbochen 3, 475 m - 05 hrs.
Day 07: Trek to Ghami 3, 520 m - 06 hrs.
Day 08: Trek to Charang / Tsarang 3, 500 m - 05 hrs.
Day 09: Trek to Lo-Manthang 3, 700 m - 05 hrs.
Day 10: At Lo - Manthang for local exploration and excursion.
Day 11: Trek to Drakmar 3, 810 m - 05 hrs.
Day 12: Trek to Ghiling 3, 806 m - 06 hrs.
Day 13: Trek to Chusang / Tsusang 3, 050 m - 05 hrs.
Day 14: Trek to Kagbeni -05 hrs.
Day 15: Trek to Jomsom 2,715 m around Kaligandaki valley - 04 hrs.
Day 16: Fly to Pokhara 860 m from Jomsom-22 min and transfer to hotel.
Day 17: Fly or drive back to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
Day 18: International departure to respective countries homeward bound.
Trip Extension in Pokhara:
People with more time in Nepal can enjoy staying in Pokhara for other adventure sports activities rafting, mountain biking, boating, Ultra-light flight, Para-gliding and Zip Flyer or just relax and enjoy at leisure with views of Annapurna Himalaya.
Main Highlight of the treks:
- On an extension of vast Tibetan plateau within incredible landscapes scenery
- Adventure on the ancient Trans Himalaya Salt and Caravan Trail route to Tibet
- Fascinating cultural villages adorned with amazing Buddhism monuments
- Enjoy walk on scenic Upper Mustang with charming views of high mountain range
- Explore beautiful country and enter old former walled kingdom of Lo-Manthang
Trek at Glance:
Mode of accommodation: Hotels in Kathmandu-Pokhara with local nice lodge on treks.
Trekking Grade: Moderate to Adventurous walks.
Area of Trekking: Far North West beyond Annapurna Himalaya
Highest elevation gain: Over Nyi-La pass at 3,950 m high.
Daily Walks: Minimum 4 hrs to maximum 6 hrs.
Trekking duration: 12 Nights and 13 Days (with flights both ways from Pokhara to Pokhara)
Total Trip: 17 Nights and 18 Days (arrival to final departure)
- No. of Days :
- 18 D
- No. of Nights :
- 17 N
- Min Age :
- 16 Yrs
- Max Age :
- 100 Yrs
- Min Weight :
- 20 Kg
- Max Weight :
- 100 Kg
- Min Pax Per Booking :
- 2 Pax
- Max Pax Per Booking :
- 16 Pax
- Available Group Capacity :
- 100 Pax
- Trip Standard :
- 3 Star
- Grade :
- Best Seasons :
- April to October and June to Mid-September,
- Trip Start Elevation :
- 0 m
- Lowest Elevation :
- 0 m
- Highest Elevation :
- 0 m
- Trip Start Point :
- Trip End Point :
- check_circle_outline Full board on trekking with breakfast-lunch-afternoon refreshment with dinner includes twin sharing rooms in lodge on route treks.
- check_circle_outline In some high altitude treks we provide sleeping bags and down jackets also with comprehensive medical kits carried by our guides and staff.
- check_circle_outline Private vehicle or in tourist coach-bus overland to Pokhara and back the same way to Kathmandu, includes local transportation to start the trek and at end of trek.
- check_circle_outline All tour and treks accompanied by guides-staff and porters (either human or pack animals like yaks or mules), all wages, meals, accommodation, transportation facilities with Insurance against medical and accidents.
- check_circle_outline Applicable Trekking Information Management Systems permits (TIMS) with National Park Entry permits also includes ACAP (Annapurna Conservation Area Project) Fees.
- check_circle_outline All arrival and departure from the airport to hotel and back on private cars, coach or buses as per the group size.
- check_circle_outline Tour and sightseeing around Kathmandu as per the itinerary chosen with city guides includes all entrance fees at places of interest.
- check_circle_outline Accommodation in tourist standard or 2-3 star class hotels on bed and breakfast basis as well in twin sharing basis rooms. (For single supplement at extra cost)
- check_circle_outline Upper Mustang special trekking Permit
- check_circle_outline Jomsom Pokhara Jomsom domestic flights and airport tax as listed in the itinerary.
- highlight_off Emergency evacuation by any means of transportations including immediate Helicopter services if required on accidents, sickness and personal problems.
- highlight_off Early return from the tour or treks will not be entertainment with refund, where client should borne all the expenses incurred including accompany guide-porters services.
- highlight_off For domestic flight if not included on itinerary to and from Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu at extra cost.
- highlight_off Single Supplement on hotel rooms as well on trek in lodge where clients should inform ahead on booking with extra charge on booking single private rooms where available.
- highlight_off Personal Trekking gear and equipment’s including down jackets-sleeping bags if not provided by the company as per the trip cost.
- highlight_off Expenses of individual nature drinks, laundry, telephone bills, gratitude and meals in city areas Kathmandu and Pokhara as per the itinerary chosen.
- highlight_off International air-fare, Personal medical / travel insurance and Nepal visa fees.