Lower Dolpo Trekking
journey to Nepal Far West following ancient Trans-Himalaya Caravan trail
Best Seasons for Lower Dolpo Trekking:
Lower Dolpo best time to visit from April to October includes monsoon wet months of June to Mid-September, as Dolpo falls in rain-shadow area where heavy black rain clouds blocked by great Himalaya mountain makes a barrier.
That makes the northern country more dry and arid than southern and inner Dolpo, the best months would be from April and May and September to early November months.
April and May during spring times when days are much longer with sunlight hours and quite warmer during the day, but cold in the morning and night times with chances of snow sometimes.
September to early November much clear day for views and walks but shorter day with sunlight hours due to autumn season freezing temperatures during morning and night time, can expect snow on treks sometimes around higher elevation.
People and Culture:
Around Dolpo area populated by Dolpo tribe known as Bhot people of strong Tibetan influence practice both Buddhism and ancient Bon sect of pre-Buddhism.
Which you can notice along the walks with religious monuments of Stupa and series of prayer wheels and stone slate walks, all around Dolpo dominated by Tibetan origin people interwoven with Buddhism religion and exciting colorful culture of Bon sect.
Around lower side with some Magar and Hindu Thakuri Malla Chettries and Dolpo falls on historical trails of Trans Himalaya Salt Trade and caravan route from Nepal to Tibet.
Lower Dolpo Trekking an adventure into most spectacular Himalayan destination within far and remote areas of Nepal Wild-West, where trekkers can enjoy complete isolation on walks that takes you around inner and lower areas of beautiful Dolpo.
Lower Dolpo Trekking where walk takes you into Nepal largest Shey-Phoksundo National Park covers a huge unique area of 3, 555 sq. kms established around mid-1980 after tracking and exploration of the region recording its exotic wild-life.
Within Dolpo one will encounter few foreign visitors that makes this adventure more enjoyable in the harmony of complete wilderness overlooking dramatic views of beautiful scenery of high snow peaks and rolling hills.
Although a desert like and windblown country where much of inner and lower Dolpo areas are very green with nice pasture and grazing land, the higher side of Dolpo with Tibetan like landscapes of dry and arid, an extension of Tibet South West plateau.
Lower Dolpo trekking starts with exciting and scenic flight from the capital Kathmandu to reach at lower Far West south city of Nepalgunj, for transit flight towards Dolpo.
On reaching at Jhupal small airport, walk takes you around nice villages of mix tribal people of Dolpo in the beginning with Hindu Takuri Malla and Magar villages with Dolpo highlanders of strong Tibetan origin.
Walk takes you into interesting town at Dunai headquarter of Dolpo then heading further north following the trail within nice farm villages to reach at our main target and highlight around Phoksundo Lake.
Enjoy another pleasant day at Phoksundo Lake overlooking glorious scenery of beautiful high peaks and hills covered with coniferous forest of blue pine, spruce, cypress, poplar, deodar, fir and birch.
At Phoksundo Lake visit interesting village Ringmo and witness the local culture and custom of Dolpo native similar to western Tibetan of both Bon and Buddhism religion with impressive colorful custom.
From this lovely scenic spot adventure leads to cross high passes of Baga-la, Numa-La and Jyang-La all over 5,000 m high to reach the other beautiful side of Lower and Inner Dolpo at Tokyu and Dho-Tarap villages.
Exciting visit takes you into its old monasteries of great religious and historical importance and then walk heads towards the longest and beautiful river valley of Tarap Khola to reach at Tarakot.
An ancient and important village during old times of Malla kingdom past 13th to 16th Centuray where Tara kot means a fortress guarding the territory from outside invaders.
After a wonderful time around Inner Dolpo visiting interesting places slowly walk comes to an end at Dunai town where short drive takes to Jhupal for last final stop around Dolpo.
Next early morning board in small aircraft the flies you at low-warm Nepalgunj and then back into hustle and bustle city life at Kathmandu, after a glorious and mesmerizing experience on Lower Dolpo Trekking.
Trek to Dolpo involves overnights in tented camps, where all camping equipment needs to ferry throughout the treks, as this region located in the far wild west of Nepal with only few villages with facilities of lodge and home stay.
The remote region has preserved its Tibetan culture in relatively pure form, making it much attractive to Westerners, Dolpa was the location for the 1999 Oscar-nominated foreign film called ‘Himalaya’ and recently for German documentary on Dolpo named Tulku.
Shey Phoksundo is country largest park protects endangered animals like elusive and rare snow leopard, musk deer, blue sheep and the Tibetan wolf, which falls within great Trans-Himalayan Salt and Caravan Trail to Tibet.
On this adventure where trekkers can enjoy great panorama on walks as well on short flight facing Mt. Dhaulagiri (8, 167 m), Mustang Himal with Mt. Annapurna- I (8, 09 m) Mt. Manaslu (8,163 m), Mt. Annapurna II (7,937 m.), Mt. Annapurna III (7, 555 m), Mt. Annapurna IV (7,525 m), Mt. Annapurna South (7, 219 m), Mt. Nilgiri (7,041 m), Mt. Hiunchuli (6, 441 m), Mt. Lamjung Himal (6, 986 m), Tukuche peak (6, 920 m), to Tilicho peak (7, 134 m). Includes Kagmara and Kanjibroba Main Peak at 6,828 m and other peaks within Dolpo region.
Short Outline Itinerary:
Day 01: Main arrival in Kathmandu 1,320 m via various airlines.
Day 02: In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
Day 03: Fly to Nepalgunj city 50 minutes on air and transfer to hotel.
Day 04: Fly to Jhupal 2,475 m then walk to Dunai 2,140 m - 04 hrs.
Day 05: Trek to Chepkpa 2,838 m - 06 hrs.
Day 06: Trek to Samduwa village 2,960 m -06 hrs.
Day 07: Trek to Phoksundo Lake 3,630 m - 06 hrs.
Day 08: Rest day at Phoksundo Lake for local excursion.
Day 09: Trek to Baga-La pass base at 4,340 m - 05 hrs.
Day 10: Trek and cross Baga La 5,065 m and camp at 4,470 m - 06 hrs.
Day 11: Cross Numa-La 5,195 m and camp at Phedi 4, 540 m - 07 hrs.
Day 12: Trek to Jyang La Phedi 4,900 m- 06 hrs.
Day 13: Trek to Tokyu 4,240 m crossing Jyang-la pass 5,215 m - 06 hrs.
Day 14: Trek to Dho-Tarap 3, 944 m- 05 hrs.
Day 15: Trek to Gyagar 3,759 m - 07 hrs.
Day 16: Trek to Tarap Khola 3,652 via Chyugar 3,440 m - 06 hrs.
Day 17: Trek to Tarakot 2,540 m - 06 hrs.
Day 18: Trek to Dunai - 05 hrs drive to Jhupal - 02 hrs. jeep ride.
Day 19: Fly to Kathmandu from Jhupal via Nepalgunj and transfer to hotel.
Day 20: Free and Contingency day in Kathmandu.
Day 21: International departure to respective countries homeward bound.
Trip Extension in Kathmandu:
People with more time in Nepal can enjoy staying in Kathmandu for other adventure sports activities rafting, mountain biking, Mountain flight, Para-gliding and sightseeing tour or just relax and enjoy shopping souvenirs.
Main Highlight of the treks:
- Explore beautiful country of Nepal Far Wild-West within tremendous scenery
- Wonderful trek on ancient trail of Trans-Himalaya Trade Route of Nepal to Tibet
- Land of snow-leopard, blue sheep and in the shade of ancient Bon religion culture
- Scenic walk to picturesque Phoksundo Lake within beautiful landscape scenery
- Cross high passes from one exciting place to another interesting lovely villages
Trek at Glance:
Mode of accommodation: Hotels in Kathmandu-Nepalgunj with local lodge and tented camping on treks.
Trekking Grade: Moderate to Adventurous walks.
Area of Trekking: Far North West beyond Dhaulagiri Himalaya
Highest elevation gain: Over Baga-La 5,065 m, Numa-La 5,195 m and Jyang-La 5,215 m high.
Daily Walks: Minimum 4 hrs to maximum 8 hrs.
Trekking duration: 16 Nights and 17 Days (with flights both ways)
Total Trip: 20 Nights and 21 Days (arrival to final departure)
- No. of Days :
- 21 D
- No. of Nights :
- 20 N
- Min Age :
- 18 Yrs
- Max Age :
- 70 Yrs
- Min Weight :
- 20 Kg
- Max Weight :
- 100 Kg
- Min Pax Per Booking :
- 2 Pax
- Max Pax Per Booking :
- 16 Pax
- Available Group Capacity :
- 100 Pax
- Trip Standard :
- 0 Star
- Grade :
- Best Seasons :
- April to October and June to Mid-September
- Trip Start Elevation :
- 0 m
- Lowest Elevation :
- 0 m
- Highest Elevation :
- 0 m
- Trip Start Point :
- Trip End Point :
- check_circle_outline In some high altitude treks we provide sleeping bags and down jackets also with comprehensive medical kits carried by our guides and staff.
- check_circle_outline All tour and treks accompanied by guides-staff and porters (either human or pack animals like yaks or mules), all wages, meals, accommodation, transportation facilities with Insurance against medical and accidents.
- check_circle_outline Full board on trekking with breakfast-lunch-afternoon refreshment with dinner includes twin sharing rooms in lodge on route treks.
- check_circle_outline Accommodation in tourist standard or 2-3 star class hotels on bed and breakfast basis as well in twin sharing basis rooms. (For single supplement at extra cost)
- check_circle_outline Tour and sightseeing around Kathmandu as per the itinerary chosen with city guides includes all entrance fees at places of interest.
- check_circle_outline All arrival and departure from the airport to hotel and back on private cars, coach or buses as per the group size.
- check_circle_outline Applicable Trekking Information Management Systems permits (TIMS) with National Park Entry permits also includes National Park Fees or Conservation entry permits.
- highlight_off Early return from the tour or treks will not be entertainment with refund, where client should borne all the expenses incurred including accompany guide-porters services.
- highlight_off Emergency evacuation by any means of transportations including immediate Helicopter services if required on accidents, sickness and personal problems.
- highlight_off Single Supplement on hotel rooms as well on trek in lodge where clients should inform ahead on booking with extra charge on booking single private rooms where available.
- highlight_off Personal Trekking gear and equipment’s including down jackets-sleeping bags if not provided by the company as per the trip cost.
- highlight_off Expenses of individual nature drinks, laundry, telephone bills, gratitude and meals in city areas Kathmandu and Pokhara as per the itinerary chosen.
- highlight_off International air-fare, Personal medical / travel insurance and Nepal visa fees.