Gokyo Valley - Everest Base Camp Trekking
"beautiful, scenic Gokyo valley to Everest base camp crossing high Cho-la pass"
Trek at Glance
Mode of accommodation: Hotels in Kathmandu- local nice lodge on treks.
Trekking Grade: Moderate to Adventurous walks.
Area of Trekking: North Mid-East around Khumbu, Everest region.
Highest elevation gain: Kala Patthar Hilltop 5,643 m and Everest Base Camp 5,364 m with Gokyo-Ri 5,357 m and Cho-la Pass 5,367 m.
Daily Walks: Minimum 4 hrs to a maximum of 7 hrs.
Trekking duration: 13 Nights and 14 Days (with flight both ways)
Total Trip: 17 Nights and 18 Days (arrival to final departure)
Best Seasons for Gokyo Valley and Everest Base Camp Trekking
The best time is from March to May, where most of the days are fine and clear for views and walks, with longer sunlight hours but cold in the morning and night time above 3,000 m onward.
Late afternoon can get overcast with snow and rain on higher hills sometimes, next to good times is from mid-September to early December around autumn/fall and pre-winter seasons with crystal clear fine day for excellent views of peaks and pleasant trek with bright starry nights.
From October to December onward, days are much shorter with sun-light hours due to autumn and pre-winter season, expect snow on trails sometimes on higher areas of Khumbu valley.
People and Culture
Everest and whole of Khumbu region are populated by Sherpa people famously known as Highlanders of Himalaya and Everest, interwoven with strong Buddhism religion and culture of Tibetan origin with an interesting ancient custom which you can notice along the walks with religious monuments of Stupa and series of prayer wheels and stone slate walls.
Besides incredible views of high mountains and landscapes, where trekkers will have a great opportunity to witness Sherpa fascinating cultures and traditional farm life and visiting impressive monasteries of great interest.
Introducing marvelous and most beautiful adventure, Gokyo Valley and Everest Base Camp Trekking, one can enjoy the best on both sides of scenic Khumbu within the Everest region facing breath-taking views and exploring local Sherpa culture.
Gokyo Valley and Everest Base Camp Trekking take you around picturesque Gokyo enriched with great beauty of emerald-colored lakes and snow-capped peaks that reflect on serene ponds and then climb to Gokyo Ri, to catch stunning sunrise over an array of the mountain range.
Wonderful walks begin after flying from Kathmandu to Lukla then, on scenic trails following Dudh Kosi River upstream right up to its glacial source at Gokyo valley fed from Ngozumba glacier, where trek first reaches famed Namche Bazaar, the main large village and nearly a size of the town.
Here, we will take a rest day for acclimatization exploring high viewpoint hills. Then, on the way to our first destination as the walk takes you to high steep climb with ever-present scenery of majestic mountain range.
Walking into lovely woodland of rhododendron, pines and fir trees as trek progress heading higher where green vegetation and tree lines disappear for dwarf bushes of juniper and rhododendron. The walk takes you closer to our destination around Gokyo Valley.
After spending nice pleasant overnights at Dole and Machhermo, then finally at beautiful Gokyo and its simmering lakes with amazing pictures of mountains to marvel, enjoying a wonderful moment at Gokyo with a climb to scenic hilltop Gokyo Ri, with an awesome panorama of the high mountain range.
Spending glorious time at the magnificent valley of Gokyo adventure continues crossing high Cho-la pass to reach another side of Khumbu valley on the route towards world number one beneath towering Mt. Everest at base camp. Enjoy the time of your life at base camp enclosed within giant peaks of Lhotse, Nuptse, and Pumori and close to massive Khumbu Icefall and glaciers, our next adventure reaches you on top Kala Patthar.
Stand on the highest spot of the journey at 5, 643 m / 18,514 ft offers a tremendous panorama of the mountain range with closest views of Mt. Everest surrounded by series of peaks, after a great experience return trek takes you back at Lukla.
Finally, our spectacular and scenic adventure completes at Lukla with a sweeping short flight to Kathmandu, after an enjoyable, memorable time and experience on Gokyo Valley and Everest Base Camp Trekking.
Short Outline Itinerary:
Day 01: Main arrival in Kathmandu 1,320 m via various airlines.
Day 02: In Kathmandu with a sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
Day 03: Fly to Lukla 2,820 m, trek to Phakding 2,652 m - 04 hrs.
Day 04: Trek to Namche Bazaar 3, 440 m - 06 hrs.
Day 05: Rest Day at Namche Bazaar.
Day 06: Trek to Dole 4,100 m - 06 hrs.
Day 07: Trek to Machhermo 4,470 m - 04 hrs.
Day 08: Trek to Gokyo Lake 4,800 m - 04 hrs.
Day 09: At Gokyo climb of Gokyo-Ri and walk to Thagnak 4,750 m - 04 hrs.
Day 10: Cross Cho-la Pass 5, 367 m to Dzongla 4,830 m - 07 hrs.
Day 11: Trek to Lobuche 4, 928 m - 05 hrs.
Day 12: Trek to Gorakshep 5,180 m and to Everest Base Camp 5, 364 m - 06 hrs.
Day 13 Hike to Kalapathar 5, 643 m / 18,514 ft. trek to Pangboche 3,900 m-06 hrs.
Day 14: Trek to Namche Bazaar - 06 hrs.
Day 15: Trek to Lukla -06 hrs. walks.
Day 16: Fly to Kathmandu and transfer to the hotel.
Day 17: Spare and contingency day in Kathmandu.
Day 18: International departure to respective countries homeward bound.
Trip Extension in Kathmandu
While in Kathmandu with more time, you can extend for other adventure sports activities rafting, mountain biking, Para-gliding or just relax and enjoy with individual activities or with a sightseeing tour around world heritage sites.
Important Information flying to Lukla and back to Kathmandu
At present, most flight to Lukla and back operates from Manthali a small town with an airstrip located in the district of Ramechhap. Kathmandu's domestic airport has been changed by the Nepal Government Civil Aviation Authority.
The changes started from April and October 2019 onward, flights to Lukla resumes from Manthali town airport which is the main headquarter of Ramechhap district Province No-3 of Nepal.
The drive from Kathmandu to reach Manthali airstrip takes approx 5 hrs which is about 154 km approx., 500 miles distance from the capital Kathmandu. The drive takes you on B.P Highway (a newly built tarmac road).
There has been little bit confusion regarding the height of Kala Patthar Hilltop. Previously, the elevation was somewhere in between 5,545 m and 5,550 m. But, according to the research conducted by Dr. Luis A, Ruedas who is the assistant professor in reputed Portland State University on 6th December 2006, the elevation of Kala Pathar was found to be 5, 643 m which equals to 18,514 ft.
This fact was deducted after taking an average from 48 different readings. Also, to confirm this fact, another similar research was conducted again in 2008 and at this time, the height of Kala Patthar was found to be 5,644.5 m. Kala Patthar rocky hill is distinct from other surrounding peaks as it is marked with Buddhist prayer flags.
Main Highlight of the treks
- Adventure around best areas of scenic Khumbu with Gokyo and Everest base camp,
- Enjoy tremendous scenery of mountain panorama with Nepal longest Ngozumba Glacier,
- Views of world four highest peaks Everest, Lhotse, Cho-Oyu and Makalu from high Gokyo-Ri Hill,
- Traverse across scenic, high Cho-la pass towards world’s number one Mt. Everest base camp,
- Great wonderful trek in the harmony of beautiful mountain views and local Sherpa culture
- No. of Days :
- 18 D
- No. of Nights :
- 17 N
- Min Age :
- 16 Yrs
- Max Age :
- 70 Yrs
- Min Weight :
- 20 Kg
- Max Weight :
- 100 Kg
- Min Pax Per Booking :
- 2 Pax
- Max Pax Per Booking :
- 16 Pax
- Available Group Capacity :
- 100 Pax
- Trip Standard :
- 0 Star
- Grade :
- Best Seasons :
- Through out the year
- Trip Start Elevation :
- 0 m
- Lowest Elevation :
- 0 m
- Highest Elevation :
- 0 m
- Trip Start Point :
- Trip End Point :
- check_circle_outline In some high altitude treks we provide sleeping bags and down jackets also with comprehensive medical kits carried by our guides and staff.
- check_circle_outline All tour and treks accompanied by guides-staff and porters (either human or pack animals like yaks or mules), all wages, meals, accommodation, transportation facilities with Insurance against medical and accidents.
- check_circle_outline Full board on trekking with breakfast-lunch-afternoon refreshment with dinner includes twin sharing rooms in lodge on route treks.
- check_circle_outline Applicable Trekking Information Management Systems permits (TIMS) with National Park Entry permits also includes National Park Fees or Conservation entry permits.
- check_circle_outline Domestic air flights Kathmandu – Lukla – Kathmandu as per the itinerary chosen. For Jiri Classic Everest overland drive to reach at the start of treks private or in local bus, as per group size with flight out of Lukla to Kathmandu.
- check_circle_outline All arrival and departure from the airport to hotel and back on private cars, coach or buses as per the group size.
- check_circle_outline Accommodation in tourist standard or 2-3 star class hotels on bed and breakfast basis as well in twin sharing basis rooms. (For single supplement at extra cost)
- check_circle_outline Tour and sightseeing around Kathmandu as per the itinerary chosen with city guides includes all entrance fees at places of interest.
- highlight_off Early return from the tour or treks will not be entertainment with refund, where client should borne all the expenses incurred including accompany guide-porters services.
- highlight_off Single Supplement on hotel rooms as well on trek in lodge where clients should inform ahead on booking with extra charge on booking single private rooms where available.
- highlight_off Emergency evacuation by any means of transportations including immediate Helicopter services if required on accidents, sickness and personal problems.
- highlight_off Personal Trekking gear and equipment’s including down jackets-sleeping bags if not provided by the company as per the trip cost.
- highlight_off Expenses of individual nature drinks, laundry, telephone bills, gratitude and meals in city areas Kathmandu and Pokhara as per the itinerary chosen.
- highlight_off International air-fare, Personal medical / travel insurance and Nepal visa fees.