Annapurna Circuit Thorong La Pass Trekking
‘adventure within scenic North and South faces of massive Annapurna Himalaya’
Trek at Glance:
- Mode of accommodation: Hotels in Kathmandu-Pokhara with local nice lodge on treks.
- Trekking Grade: Moderate to Adventurous walks.
- Area of Trekking: North Mid-West around Annapurna Himalaya
- Highest elevation gain: At high Thorong La Pass above 5,416 m
- Daily Walks: Minimum 4 hrs to maximum of 6 hrs.
- Trekking duration: 12 Nights and 13 Days (with drive both ways)
- Total Trip: 16 Nights and 17 Days (arrival to final departure)
Annapurna Circuit and high Thorong La Pass Trekking is the most beautiful and scenic walks around both picturesque sides of Annapurna Himalaya, regarded as the world's top ten adventure destinations. Annapurna Circuit and high Thorong-La Pass Trekking is one of the few adventures where altitude gains at a gradual speed. Walk takes you from lower warm farm areas within heavily cultivated rice paddy to reach cooler alpine hills then towards arctic zone temperatures at high Manang valley and Thorong-La Pass.
To those trekkers and adventurer interested for various dramatic change, this will be the perfect and ideal treks following scenic trail as landscapes and climate changes nearly every day along with local culture that you can witness great variation on this awesome Annapurna Circuit and high Thorong-la Pass trekking, at the end of the trip where you will be fully satisfied joining on this wonderful adventure.
The journey starts with long and exciting overland towards Nepal Mid-West around the warmer region of Lamjung district; then walk follows glacial Marshyangdi River with a climb to cooler hills with nice villages to explore various cultures of high hill people of both Hindu and Buddhism religions. Adventure progress heading much higher ground entering into lovely forested areas of tall blue pine, firs and rhododendron trees facing constant views of snow-capped peaks with Manaslu, Lamjung Himal and northern peaks of Annapurna range.
Soon walk heads into beautiful and most scenic valley of Manang enclosed by series of white snow-capped peaks with Chulus and Pisang towards north and Annapurna, Gangapurna Himal in the south direction. From Manang onward, you can witness the old heritage life of strong Buddhist religion with a trail around villages lined with Buddhist monuments of stupas and stone prayer walls.
At main Manang village, with time for a rest day to support acclimatization, taking a hike to scenic viewpoints and exploring villages enriched with colorful custom similar to Tibetan traditions and culture of Buddhism. After Manang, walk leads to the end of the valley and beyond with steep strenuous climb to reach the highest spot of the adventure on top Thorong-La Pass at 5,416 m high with tremendous scenery of giant peaks with Damodar Himal, group of Chulu peaks, Annapurna and Dhaulagiri range.
The pass festooned with thousands of colorful Buddhist prayer flags with a board to prove that you are on top of Thorong-la pass with altitude mentioned. From here long descend takes you to another beautiful and amazing dry country at Mustang area. The walk follows on a nice path to reach near Muktinath temple premises, the area around is considered as most holy of all holiest places for pilgrimage where hundreds of Hindu followers visit the temple from all around Nepal and India for worship in Muktinath temple dedicated to Hindu God Lord Vishnu.
From Muktinath, the adventure continues to reach wide areas of Kaligandaki River valley on ancient Trans Himalaya Salt and Caravan Trade Route of Nepal to Tibet that extends towards Upper Mustang where the border of both countries is located. As the journey takes you through nice Jomsom town and then at the charming village of Marpha to reach low warm paddy areas and the village of Tatopani, a place with natural hot spring to enjoy relaxing and refreshing moments.
After a great time at Tatopani and hot spring trek takes you back to cooler high hills within dense rhododendron and pine forest to reach scenic Ghorepani village, located beneath famous and popular Poon Hill for sunrise views over a range of Himalayan peaks.
Enjoy time at Ghorepani village and hike to Poon Hill with stunning panorama of mountains with fabulous sunrise views and then on downhill to lower warm farm areas, where drive takes you to beautiful city at Pokhara; great place to conclude our most wonderful journey by the lakeside of Phewa with glorious scenery of hills and peaks of Annapurna range. From Pokhara head back to Kathmandu to complete our full Annapurna Circuit and Thorong-La Passes Trekking with grand memories and exciting adventure.
Short Outline Itinerary:
Day 01: Main arrival in Kathmandu 1,320 m via various airlines.
Day 02: In Kathmandu with sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
Day 03: Drive to Jagat 1,260 m via Besisar 820 m -07 hrs.
Day 04: Trek to Dharapani 1,943 m - 06 hrs.
Day 05: Trek to Chame 2,720 m - 05 hrs.
Day 06: Trek to Pisang 3,190 m - 05 hrs.
Day 07: Trek to Manang 3,540 m- 04 hrs.
Day 08: Acclimatization day at Manang short hikes and leisure excursion.
Day 09: Trek to Yak Kharka 4,210 m - 06 hrs.
Day 10: Trek to Thorong- La High Camp at 4,450m - 04 hrs.
Day 11: Cross Thorong La 5,416 m and trek to Muktinath 3,800 m -06 hrs.
Day 12: Drive to Tatopani 1,100 m around Kaligandaki valley - 04 hrs.
Day 13: Trek to Ghorepani 2,880 m - 06 hrs.
Day 14: Hike to Poon Hill 3,210 m and trek to Tirkhedhunga 1,450 m- 05 hrs.
Day 15: Trek to road head and drive to Pokhara-04 hrs.
Day 16: Fly or drive back to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
Day 17: International departure to respective countries homeward bound.
Trip Extension in Pokhara
While in Pokhara with more time, one can extend for other adventure sports activities rafting, mountain biking, boating, Ultra-light flight, Paragliding, and Zip Flyer or just relax and enjoy at leisure with views of Annapurna Himalaya.
Best Seasons for Annapurna Circuit and High Thorong-La Trekking
March to May, when most of the days are fine and clear for views and walks, with longer sunlight hours but cold in the morning and night time above 2,000 m onward.
Late afternoon can get overcast with snow and rain on higher hills sometimes, next to good times from mid-September to mid-December around autumn/fall and pre-winter seasons with crystal clear fine morning and day for excellent views of peaks and pleasant trek with bright starry nights.
Around autumn onward till spring seasons where days are much shorter with sun-light hours due to autumn and pre-winter season, expect snow on trails sometimes on higher areas around Manang valley to Muktinath.
People and Culture
Annapurna Circuit and High Thorong-La Pass Trekking offer you the opportunity to witness various hill people from lower warm areas, with mix tribes of Gurung-Magar with Hindu Bhramins, Chettris and Dalits and their fascinating traditions and culture.
Higher hills are dominated by Manang tribes of Tibetan origin with an interesting culture of Buddhism religion which you can notice along the walks with religious monuments of stupa and series of prayer wheels and stone slate walks, mid-hill and lower region villages practice both Hindu and Buddhism religion of various interesting culture and custom.
Other main tribes are Magar, Gurung and Thakali hill people of Annapurna and Kaligandaki valley region where one can witness various exciting cultures of both Hindu and Buddhist religion.
Main Highlight of the treks:
- Scenic walk to north side of Annapurna range around beautiful Manang valley,
- Adventure over high Thorang-la Pass with mind-blowing scenic mountain views,
- Dramatic change of climate, landscapes, vegetation and cultures on daily walks,
- From low warm paddy fields to cooler hills towards arctic zone of ice and glaciers,
- High traverse from Manang valley to beautiful Mustang area via Thorang-la pass,
- Within nice, lovely mountain villages enriched with amazing colorful cultures
- No. of Days :
- 17 D
- No. of Nights :
- 16 N
- Min Age :
- 16 Yrs
- Max Age :
- 100 Yrs
- Min Weight :
- 20 Kg
- Max Weight :
- 100 Kg
- Min Pax Per Booking :
- 2 Pax
- Max Pax Per Booking :
- 16 Pax
- Available Group Capacity :
- 100 Pax
- Trip Standard :
- 3 Star
- Grade :
- Best Seasons :
- March to May, September to December
- Trip Start Elevation :
- 0 m
- Lowest Elevation :
- 0 m
- Highest Elevation :
- 0 m
- Trip Start Point :
- Trip End Point :
Payment is supposed to be made two days before the trip date. Last moment bookingavailable with full cash payment only if we have enough space available.
Refunds are not made for unused services or last minute (less than 24 hours) cancellations. Cancellation one day before the activity date will incur a% cancellation charge, whereas cancellation one week or more before the activity date will incur a 2 % cancellation charge.
- check_circle_outline In some high altitude treks we provide sleeping bags and down jackets also with comprehensive medical kits carried by our guides and staff.
- check_circle_outline All tour and treks accompanied by guides-staff and porters (either human or pack animals like yaks or mules), all wages, meals, accommodation, transportation facilities with Insurance against medical and accidents.
- check_circle_outline Applicable Trekking Information Management Systems permits (TIMS) with National Park Entry permits also includes ACAP (Annapurna Conservation Area Project) Fees.
- check_circle_outline Full board on trekking with breakfast-lunch-afternoon refreshment with dinner includes twin sharing rooms in lodge on route treks.
- check_circle_outline Accommodation in tourist standard or 2-3 star class hotels on bed and breakfast basis as well in twin sharing basis rooms. (For single supplement at extra cost)
- check_circle_outline All arrival and departure from the airport to hotel and back on private cars, coach or buses as per the group size.
- check_circle_outline Private vehicle or in tourist coach-bus overland to Pokhara and back the same way to Kathmandu, includes local transportation to start the trek and at end of trek.
- check_circle_outline Tour and sightseeing around Kathmandu as per the itinerary chosen with city guides includes all entrance fees at places of interest.
- highlight_off Early return from the tour or treks will not be entertainment with refund, where client should borne all the expenses incurred including accompany guide-porters services.
- highlight_off Emergency evacuation by any means of transportations including immediate Helicopter services if required on accidents, sickness and personal problems.
- highlight_off For domestic flight if not included on itinerary to and from Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu at extra cost.
- highlight_off Single Supplement on hotel rooms as well on trek in lodge where clients should inform ahead on booking with extra charge on booking single private rooms where available.
- highlight_off Expenses of individual nature drinks, laundry, telephone bills, gratitude and meals in city areas Kathmandu and Pokhara as per the itinerary chosen.
- highlight_off personal trekking gear and equipments including down jackets-sleeping bags if not provided by the company as per the trip cost.
- highlight_off International air-fare, Personal medical / travel insurance and Nepal visa fees.
- check_circle_outline Scarf to cover face (dust/wind)
- check_circle_outline Fleece/Wool hat (to cover ears)
- check_circle_outline Heavy weight gloves or waterproof/wind fleece gloves
- check_circle_outline Lightweight fleece gloves
- check_circle_outline Sun glass, Sun Cream
- check_circle_outline Sun Hat